Monday, July 20, 2009

My little Sanctuary...

My husband and I bought our first house back in 2003. It is a three-bedroom house with a study room and a front and rear garden. We bought the property from an elderly woman who, no doubt absolutely adored her garden. I had never done any gardening myself, but both my parents have green thumb, so I was confident enough that I would be able to handle this enormous task that the old woman left to me.

Since then, we have made two major transformations to the garden. In 2007, we removed a lot of bushy plants and big pine trees. Perhaps when the old woman planted all these she didn’t realize it would be overcrowded in a few years time. It was starting to look like a jungle and I was getting tired of pruning and trimming so we decided in the end to just pull them out. A big part of it then became bare so my cousin helped me add a few little plants that don’t really grow too big. We also planted a cherry blossom tree right in the middle of the garden.


Weeds kept on growing, overshadowing the little plants so it didn’t really work out and we had to move them to the front garden. We hired a gardener to lay down grass on the lawn instead (keeping the cherry blossom in the middle) and I think this works better.


I have planted different bulbs that come out different times of the year so the garden never runs out of flowers. It’s always a joy to see them come out so beautifully.


Now that we are moving to a different city, I’d say this is one of the things that I will miss most. I just hope the next person to look after this little oasis will have green thumbs as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment